If you plan to reinstall Windows, you will need an activation key to activate it again. In this article, I will show you how to use cmd or PowerShell commands to find the Windows product key.
Under normal circumstances, we can find the key on the computer sticker, but this is not always the case, especially if you have already installed a computer system or purchased a computer without an operating system. At this time, you need to find the windows key yourself. The process of finding the product key is very simple. You can find it in less than 2 minutes. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to find the product key on Windows 10?
1. Find the product key through the CMD command
1. In the Windows search box, type cmd, right-click the search result, and then select the “Run as administrator” option to open a DOS window.
2. In the command prompt window, type the following command, and then press Enter:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
3. The Windows product key will be displayed immediately in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
2. Find the product key through PowerShell commands
1. Right-click the “Start” menu, and then click the “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” command to run Powershell as an administrator.
2. In the PowerShell window, type the following command, and then press Enter:
powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"
3. The Windows product key will appear soon.
Now, you can replace the computer immediately, then reinstall Windows and activate it with the product key found.
These methods are simple to operate and very useful when you forget the key, so be sure to keep in mind, just follow the above steps and you will get the product key immediately.
Similarly, if you purchased a license from the Microsoft Store, you will find the key on a label on your computer, or you may find the key in Microsoft’s email.